Thursday, December 3, 2009

Exhaust(ed) Replacement

Since I was on a tight budget and exhaust parts for this car are astronomical, I actually found a used exhaust on ebay for a good price.

It came in the mail and I began to work. To say the least, it was the toughest job I've ever performed on a car. The nuts and bolts all were rusted solid and already partially stripped. I ended up buying all kinds of tools and doodads and finally after about 20 hours the old exhaust was out and the replacement was in.

There was very little room underneath the car so I had to use small tools. Ryobi drills were the only drills that were small enough to maneuver. I had a cheaper Ryobi and bought a newer Lithium Ion drill shown below which came in a nice soft case to transport. I also used some pretty amazing cobalt drill bits from Rigid. After killing a few other drill bits I gave my pops a call and he said I needed some cobalt bits. Rigid were the only cobalt bits I could find and they worked great.

I looked all over the place for a small hack saw to cut the bolt off and the one I went with was a small Lenox with heavy metal blades. The salesman at Home Depot told me this brand was my best bet so I bought the saw and some blades and luckily it fit

In place of the old steel fasteners I installed stainless steel nuts and bolts so the next person who worked on the car would not have to go through what I did to get the exhaust off.

Seriously, I would like to never think about this again, I'm just thankful it's over. Here are some pictures of the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment